Did you know this Friday is the Moon Festival? Traditionally you’re supposed to eat/make moon cakes to celebrate the holiday, however make a dessert that represents the shape of the moon can still share with family and friends in honor of the moon festival. So bookmark this sweet treat below for this Friday!
– 2 cups Sunlee mung bean
– 1 cup Sunlee coconut milk
– 1 cup water
– 1/2 cup sugar
– 2 tsp vanilla extract
– 2 tbsp vegetable oil
– 1 tsp salt
– 1 bag Sunlee glutenous rice
– 1/2 cup Sunlee rice flour
– 1 tbsp baking powder
– 1/2 tsp salt
– 1 1/2- 2 cups boiling water (start with 1 1/2 then gradually add more if needed)
– 1 cup sugar
– 1/3 cup instant mashed potatoes
– 2 tbsp vanilla extract
– Raw sesame seeds
1. Rinse mung beans till they run clear. Then soak over night in the fridge.
2. The next day, boil water, coconut milk, sugar, salt, and vanilla extract with pre soaked mung beans.
3. Let it simmer for 10-15 minutes on medium-low heat. Stirring occasionally. When the liquid is half way evaporated, cover to let it steam. Once you can break in between your fingers, it’s done let it cool down.
4. Once cooled, use a food processor and pulse until it becomes semi smooth.
5. Use a small ice cream scoop, roll into balls and set aside. This process can be done the night before, just cover and store in the fridge.
To make the dough:
1. Mix glutenous flour, rice flour, and salt in a bowl.
2. Boil water, then add sugar, vanilla extract, and mashed potatoes.
3. Slowly mix with flour. When it becomes cool to touch, need until there’s no more flour. Add more water if it’s too dry, the consistency should be like play dough.
4. Cover and rest for 30 minutes.
5. Take 30g of dough and roll into a ball and flatten. Make sure you cover the dough when you’re not working with it to prevent it from drying out.
6. Take mung bean filling, stuff it while covering it.
7. Lightly moisten the balls and roll into sesame seeds. Cover with moisten paper towels.
8. Heat oil to 350°F. Carefully drop in sesame balls and fry for 6-10 minutes. Once they start doubling in size, bump up and press down with a strainer and to let it puff up some more. Drain excess oil.
9. Let it cool slightly and enjoy!
Buy Sunlee ingredients at your nearest Asian market!